A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 5, 2009

Are you building a summer home for us?

That's what my wife asked me when she saw the first O scale structure I started building for the layout. This will be the Falmouth Freight House. I don't have any photos of the actual Falmouth terminal, so I am using a building at City Point as an inspiration for the structure. This is probably the main drawback of O Scale, the structures are really big. This gives you the opportunity to make a nicely detailed model, but they take up a lot of layout real estate.

The overall size is 16 inches by 8 inches. There are 17 rafters. These I cut on the laser using 3/32nd inch basswood. They came out nice. The laser cut window holes are sized for Tichy castings. The doors will be scratchbuilt. The walls are Mt Albert milled basswood representing board and batten siding. I did not detail the interior walls with studs yet, but I do plan to.
There will be a 1.5 inch wide loading deck in front of the building.

Any suggestions on what color I should use to paint/stain the walls?

The color of the ground work and backdrop looks very different in the photos, but in person the colors match pretty well. I'm not sure what is going on there.


3 comments:

  1. Bernie,
    Either a white, or off-white... I can't imagine many colorful buildings were around in those "war-torn" days... looks impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, excellent blog,pictures seem to show them as unpainted natural finish, I would stain them lightly as the would be almost new buidings at the time. Goodman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work. It is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete